Apple pie is great, but add pears and two kinds of ginger, and you’ll take it over the top.
- 1 lemon
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples
- 3 Bartlett or Bosc pears
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 (14 oz) pkg refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Zest and juice the lemon. Peel, core, and slice the apples and pears. Toss the apples and pears with brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ground ginger, and fresh ginger until well-mixed.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour the fruit on top of the crust.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the remaining rolled crust into 8 1-inch-wide pieces, trimming off the ends. Unroll the pieces and lay on top of the filling, leaving a 1-inch space between each piece. Overlap each piece to form a lattice. Secure the edges by pressing down onto crust with a fork. Trim off any excess dough.
- Brush the crust with the milk and sprinkle the white sugar over the top. Bake for 50 min., or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- October November 2016