This classic icebox cookie can be made ahead, frozen, and baked on your time.
- 1 (17.5) oz pkg sugar cookie mix
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- Prepare the cookie dough according to package directions. Add the zest from 1 lemon, 1 tbsp juice, and ¾ cup cranberries. Mix until dough is fully combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a log with a 1 ½-inch diameter and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill, if desired, or freeze for a later use.
STEP 3 Set racks to positions in upper and lower thirds of the oven, then preheat oven to 350°F. Set sugar on a large plate and roll the logs over to coat. Slice logs into ¼–½-inch rounds and arrange 1-inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 15 min., or until cookies are golden brown. Rotate sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Coatings and decorations:
- Mix sugar with ½ cup roasted, salted almonds, coarsely chopped and roll logs to coat
- Chop ¼ cup dried pineapple and ¼ cup dried mango, mix with granulated sugar and roll logs to coat
- Dice ½ cup candied orange peel and melt 5 oz bittersweet chocolate in the microwave. Dip ¼ of each baked cookie into melted chocolate, top with candied orange peel, and leave to dry on a rack.
- December 2016