Ginger and molasses come together to form the perfect, chewy cookie.
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped candied ginger
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 sec. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ½ tsp cinnamon, and all 3 types of ginger. Beat until combined.
- Gently beat in egg and molasses, then as much of the all-purpose and whole wheat flours as you can without drying out the mixture. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. If dough is too sticky to handle, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar and remaining cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in the sugar-cinnamon mixture, and place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 min. or until cookies set and tops are slightly cracked. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- December 2016